In this recipe we teach you how to create tiered ads. For example, say that you want to offer two levels of ads for your sidebar, "premium placement" which appears above the fold and "basic placement" which appears below the fold. All ads are going to be 100px tall but you want to charge $300/month for the 8 ads that appear above the fold and you want to charge $200/month for the one or more ads that appear below the fold. To keep your advertisers happy about their position within their respective areas, you are going to use the ad rotator to rotate the ads within each tier.
Here's how you do it:
- If you haven't already done so, download and install the AdPlugg Plugin.
- Log in to the AdPlugg Ad Manager
- Go to Ads and then Zones and create a new ad zone named "Right Sidebar". Save the zone and then install the zone into your site. See the Ad Zone Help Page for more information about zones.
- Now go to Ads and then Placements and create a new ad placement named "Right Sidebar - Premium". Set the Order to "1". Set the Content Order field to "Random". See the Ad Placements Help Page for more information about creating placements.
- Repeat the previous steps to create a second placement named "Right Sidebar - Basic". Set the Order to "2". Set the Content Order field to "Random".
- Next go to Ads and then Ads and create a new ad named "Ad 1". Upload an image for the ad, target the ad to the "Right Sidebar - Premium" placement (under targeting) and save the ad. See the Ad Help Page for more information about creating ads.
- Now create another ad named "Ad 2". Upload an image for the ad, target the ad to the "Right Sidebar - Basic" placement and save the ad.
- Create at least one more ad targeted to each placement.
You will now have two tiers of ads where the premium ads always display first and the ads rotate within their respective tiers. Now get to selling some ad space!